My U.S. Navy Tour was from 1958 to 1962. I was in VP-10 which was an Anti-Submarine Squadron which was Home Based in Brunswick, Maine.

Right out of Boot Camp and in AT School in Memphis, TN in 1959

My first car at US Naval Air Station in Brunswick, Maine

1955 Ford Sunliner

I bought the car in 1960 for $700 and I Loved this Car!!!

But, It rusted away in Vermont very quickly and was sold in 1963




At the 2002 VP-10 Reunion in Maine

Dan Neumann and I, and Dan Adcock behind me.

Kathy, after the Navy Briefings in Hanger 5

Click here to play "Anchors Aweigh"

I was an Aviation Electronics Technician and specialized in Radar (ATR). My Navy Boot Camp was in Great Lakes, IL; then Aviation fundamentals, math and physics in Norman Oklahoma; and then one year of studies in aviation electronics in  Memphis TN.

Major 5 month tours were Rota, Spain; Keflavik, Iceland and Argentia, Newfoundland.

I was an Air Crewman and at first I flew as radio operator using morse code; then I was Radar Operator and later was Julie/Jezebel anti-submarine operator. Typical flights lasted about 12 hours; 2-3 hours to get "on station" and then about 6 hours 'on station' sometimes flying at 200 feet off the water when attempting to pinpoint a submarine, or photographing a Russian Trawler Ship loaded with electronics capability.

U.S. Minor Tours were Key West, Porto Rico, Norfolk, Quonset Point for Anti-Submarine training and special education on Anti-Submarine Electronics and Tactics.

Caricature of our Combat Air Crew by Bob Erdos

Ports visited were, Oslo, Bodo, Stavanger and Andoya Norway; Copenhagen and Aalborg, Denmark; London England; Prestwick and Ayre Scotland; Frankfort Germany; Gibraltar; Athens and Elefsis Greece; Cadiz, Madrid, Seville and Jerez de la Frontera Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Thule and Sondes Tromfiord Greenland; Goose Bay Labrador; and Lajes, in the Canary Islands.

A Map of Where I traveled while in the Navy

VPNAVY Website - VP-10 Master Page

There are 8 major VP-10 pages, and you will find me in 6 of them due to the fact that I have been a contributor of Aircraft pictures, Air Crew pictures, Shipmate info, Patches, and a Memorial to a crew we lost off the coast of Virginia Nov 9, 1961.

P2V in the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum

My Plane is now at Evergreen in Pinal, AZ and is used as a Fire Bomber

Its very sad looking now - but still around


P2V Websites

Save a Neptune

Virtual Aircraft Museum - The Worlds Aircraft P2V Neptune


My VP-10 Squadron History when I served

On 17 August 1959, Patrol Squadron TEN received its second consecutive {{E}} award. This battle
Readiness and Efficiency Award was given annually by Commander Naval Air Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet
and VP-10 had the distinction of being the only land based patrol squadron in the Atlantic Fleet to be
selected for a battle efficiency award.

On 29 January 1960, in ceremonies conducted at the Naval Air Station, Brunswick, Maine, CDR R.A.
Kimener relieved CDR R.T. Rapp as Commanding Officer of VP-10. At the change of command
ceremonies the squadron was presented the Arnold Jay Isbell Trophy, emblematic of excellence in ASW

In October 1960 the squadron was completely converted to 11 P2V-f's aircraft with latest JULIE/JEZEBEL
ASW equipment modifications.

In January 1961, six aircraft left for Rota, Spain and five for Iceland. Immediately upon arrival at Iceland
the detachment under the command of CDR Jens B. Hansen became involved in a test of ordinance
equipment, from which they received a commendation from U.S. Naval Ordinance Laboratory.

Meanwhile the Rota Detachment was ordered to the Isle deSal in the Cape Verde Islands to assist the
Portuguese Government in hunting for their stolen ship, the {{Santa Maria}}, on the 27th of January.
Letters of Commendation for its part in the Santa Maria incident were received from the U.S. Attaché,
Lisbon, Portugal and from the Chief of Staff of the Portuguese Air Force.
In February 1961 CDR T.J. Brady relieved CDR R.A. Kimener as Commanding Officer of Patrol
Squadron Ten. At Iceland the Detachment became involved in a special mission from which LCDR W.
A. Kimball received the following commendation:

Forwarded through CINCLANTFLT: {{you were assigned a special mission which involved
considerable hazards and required a high degree of professionalism for its accomplishment. The manner
in which you conducted your assigned task displayed the utmost in courage, tenacity, and flying ability. Your
outstanding performance has enhanced considerably the stature of the patrol arm of Naval Aviation
In March 1961, while the Iceland Detachment was busy with the surveillance of units of the Soviet surface
and undersea Navy,
CDR T.J. Brady led his {{Bongo Boys}} south and 4300 miles and 40 hours later had
passed through Dakar, Senegal; Robertsfield, Liberia and arrived in Luanda, Angola. This special mission
under the control of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, lasted for two weeks. At Angola relations became strained
with the colonists due to actions which occurred in the United Nations, and an outbreak of native uprisings,
and as a result, the Detachment was forced to leave.

In the South, the squadron constantly sent detachments to Sigonella, Sicily to assist the Sixth Fleet and to conduct mining operations for the Italians. In May 1961, four aircraft were sent to Athens to participate in
anti-submarine exercises.

The squadron returned to Brunswick in June 1961. During the deployment, which sent aircraft as far
North as 71N, and as far South as 14S, over 44 different airfields greeted VP-10 aircraft.
The month of November 1961 brought a deep tragedy to the squadron. While flying an Ant-Submarine
flight on the night of 7 November, one of the squadron aircraft crashed into the ocean and all eleven
persons were lost. It was the first accident in the squadron since the fall of 1957.
Ten's five-month deployment to Argentia, Newfoundland began on 7 April 1962. A six-plane detachment
was kept in Argentia at all times, the remainder of the squadron staying in Brunswick - five planes and
approximately half the personnel.

In April the squadron was involved in Operation Tirec, an evaluation of the Tiros weather satellite,
accomplished through the comparison of photographs taken from the satellite and Patron Ten P2V's.
Also beginning in April and continuing throughout the deployment. Det. Seventeen flew hundreds of hours
of ice reconnaissance. Observers from the International Ice Patrol and the Navy Hydrographic Office flew
with the crews charting icebergs and ice packs. The patrols consisted of both routine flights along the
coast from Argentia and week long extended flights to Sondestrom, Greenland; Thule, Greenland;
Frobisher Bay, Northwest Territory; and Goose Bay, Labrador.

Arctic operations became second nature in July and August, as rotating crews were stationed at Thule for
ice reconnaissance purposes. Two crews under the command of LT R.V. Mowery and LT A.B. Snively on
August 18 1962, flew over the North Pole, the first such flights recorded in Patron 10 history.
In November 1962, Patron Ten took an active part in the Cuban Crisis, flying surveillance patrols out of
Brunswick, with a four-plane detachment in Lajes, Azores.

In December 1962, and again June 1963 Patron Ten sent 3 plane detachments back to Argentia for 2 and 3
months respectively to fly ASW Surveillance patrols, and ice reconnaissance patrols.
On 28 January 1963, in ceremonies conducted at the Naval Air Station, Brunswick, Maine, CDR Earl
Luka, USN relieved CDR Jens B. Hansen, USN, as Commanding Officer. At the same ceremony CDR
Donald G. Gately became Ten's Executive Officer.

[The above information has been copied from NAFacts dated 22 Nov. 1963. Crew 8 of VP-10 was involved
with many of the operations mentioned]

A BIT OF HISTORY: VP-10 Soviet Sub "...taken by a Patrol Squadron
Ten crew about half way between Argentia and Lajes. I do not remember what crew got the picture because
too many other things were going on! On Friday prior to President Kennedy's speech initiating the Cuban
Missile Crisis (Read CUBEX) we (squadron officers) had gone to the club...The squadron did not have the
ready duty. I had proceeded on home from Happy Hour and was at the dinner table when the phone rang. It
was the squadron duty officer announcing an Emergency Recall. When I got to the hangar, the first person
I saw was the Commodore (Captain Tom Davies PPC of the Truculent Turtle) in his black sedan driving
around the ramp with a big grin on his face. The next thing I saw were squadron people running around the
ramp like they were crazy loading stuff on the aircraft as fast as they could. Yeomen and personnelmen
were helping the crew members load bomb bay tanks which gave me a clue that something major was
happening. I was on the XO's (Cdr. Jens Hansen) crew. When I saw him, he said the squadron had been
notified to get six crews airborne ASAP and headed north to a destination that would be provided by the
wing en route. Two hours from the time the initial call came into the duty office, six crews were airborne
and subsequently ended up in Argentia, NF. The crews were informed that a soviet oiler was steaming
between three undersea mounts about half way between New Foundland and the Azores and would possibly
be used to provide refueling services for soviet submarines headed south. The picture shows the results of
the efforts. As I recall 19 soviet submarines were subsequently located and tracked during CUBEX. One of
the best ASW exercises we ever had!!..." Contributed by George R. Allender, Captain USN Ret.

BIT OF HISTORY: "05MAR60--I joined VP-10 on March 5th 1960 and we were deployed to Rota,
Spain on August 21st 1959. We non-crewmen went on a C-124 Globemaster, and returned on a C-121
Super Constellation on Jan 27, 1960. In January 1961 we deployed to Keflavik, Iceland until June of 1961.
One of the duties there was to make a mail drop, by parachute, onto the island of Jan Mayen, north of
Iceland. Jan Mayen is a mountain basically and the weather there was usually socked in pretty good, so
very often the people at that Loran Station would have to send a boat out and retrieve the mail, since we were
not fond of getting in too close to the mountain at that time. During this time we visited Oslo Norway twice,
Frankfurt Germany, Copenhagen Denmark 3 times, Andoya, and Stavanger Norway, Aalborg Denmark,
Prestwick Scotland, Bodo Norway, and the West Malling Airfield in London where we participated in an
Air Show. We also participated in operational exercises in Key West, Florida and NS Roosevelt Roads, PR
! Rico near San Juan several times. In April of 1962 we deployed to Argentia Newfoundland for 5 months
and during that time we participated in the Oceanographic Ice Patrol; making the round robin from
Argentia to Sondrestron, Greenland; then to Thule Greenland; and into Kennedy Channel above Thule. We
returned on the west side stopping at Frobisher Bay, on Baffin Island; and Goose Bay Labrador. During
this time we plotted and tracked glaciers that were breaking up and icebergs floating down into the sea
lanes. This was pretty much the basic rotation for all the VP squadrons based in Brunswick during that
time..." John R. Fisher, Sr

Lockheed P2V-5F Neptune

Our aircraft were Lockheed model P2V-5F Neptunes. The original airframe had been designed in the
1940s and had been modified and upgraded over the years with mission creep and improvements in power
plants and sensor systems. It was classified as a four-engine aircraft even though the two Westinghouse
J-34 jet engines looked like an afterthought as they hung on their wing pods. The main power plant was
two reciprocating Wright R-3350 18-cylinder engines that developed 3,250 horsepower each. They (and
the two J-34s during takeoff) could lift the P2V at a maximum weight of 72,000 pounds and cruise it at 180
knots for about 3,000 miles. On paper it could climb to 26,000 feet but we never checked that out. Nearly
all of our operations over water out of Iceland were flown from 2,000 feet down to about 50 feet. At very low
altitudes you could see the twin trails of the prop wash on the ocean's surface.
The P2V was stable and forgiving. It would tell you with its creaks, moans and groans when it didn't like
the airspeed and/or attitude you were imposing on it. You could make it go at about 300 knots, but I don't
remember ever vibrating through the sky much faster than 270. On a bombing run with the bay doors open
it really let you know how fast you were going. Nose heavy, it required a special control device during slow
speeds on the horizontal stabilizer call a "varicam," shorthand for "variable camber," like a super